This recipe is best with
- 125g butter, softened
- 375g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 15g chocolate powder
- 685g flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon aniseeds
- 125g almonds, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)
- Preheat the oven to l80ºC. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the chocolate powder.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the chocolate mixture with the lemon zest, aniseeds, chopped almonds and Grand Mamier, if using. Mix well.
- Divide the dough in half. With lightly moistened hands, shape each half into a 22x5cm log. Flatten the logs slightly.Wrap the dough with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut the logs into long, thin slices and place on a silicone mat- or paper-lined baking tray Bake for 10 minutes - or longer for crisper biscotti. Remove to wire racks to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.