This recipe is best with
- Short crust pastry
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 110g butter, diced
- 2-3 tbsp or just enough icecold water
- 100g butter
- 90g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 80g plain flour
- 7g cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 75g coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 green apple
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 25g coarsely chopped walnuts
- Sift flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add in salt to mix. Gradually blend in butter with a fork until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in water and mix well into a dough. Wrap up dough in cling film wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes before rolling out. Cut the rolledout pastry to fit four 11cm fluted pie pans.
- Prick with a fork and chill in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes. Bake blind at 190°C for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
- For the filling: Peel and shred apple and add lemon juice to mix. Leave aside. Cream butter, sugar and eggs until light. Fold in sifted flour and cocoa powder.
- Stir in shredded apple, cinnamon powder and chopped walnuts. Mix till well blended.
- Pour filling mixture onto the prepared pie pans and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.