Ramadan is here, which means those observing the monthly fast have to get up in the wee hours of morning for sahur, the first meal of the day. This predawn breakfast is crucial as it provides the only sustenance and nourishment for the day until the post-sunset buka puasa, when the fasting is broken.
If you are looking for quick, convenient, healthy and delicious meals to prepare, celebrity chef Anis Nabilah has this perfect recipe from her own sahur repositories.
- 1½ cup almond milk, plus additional as needed
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup plain oatmeal
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- For garnish:
- fresh fruit, such as banana slices, figs, raspberries, blueberies or sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup toasted unsalted almonds
- In a medium bowl, stir together milk, yogurt, oatmeal, chia seeds, dates, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Divide mixture into 2 jam/Mason jars.
- Add more milk, as needed, so that oats are covered in liquid. You can also add fresh fruits after filling the jars half way through and top it off with more oats to create a layered look.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. To serve, top with more fresh fruit and sprinkle with almonds.