This recipe is best with
- 300g high-protein flour, sifted
- 10g milk powder
- 7g instant yeast granules
- 40g castor sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 140g water
- ¼ tsp instant coffee granules
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice or rum (if preferred)
- 25g yellow raisins
- 25g black raisins
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 20g butter, at room temperature
- 3 extra walnuts, chopped, for sprinkling over the loaf
- Glaze 1 tbsp milk
- Combine flour, milk powder, sugar, salt and yeast in the bowl of an electric food processor.
- Add in the egg yolk. Process well. Mix water, instant coffee granules and fresh orange juice or rum (if preferred) together, then pour into the flour mixture. Process on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add in butter and beat well on medium speed for 15-20 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Mix in raisins and walnuts.
- Shape into round balls and leave in the mixing bowl, covered with a piece of damp tea-towel, to proof for 40 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each into a small roll and place on a lightly greased loaf tin. Leave aside, covered with cling film wrap, to proof for 30 minutes or until doubled. Brush with milk and sprinkle over with the extra chopped walnuts. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 25 minutes or until doubled.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle over with the extra chopped walnuts. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 25 minutes or until cook.