- Grease 9in round mould with melted butter or corn oil and line the bottom with grease-proof paper.
- Combine the yolks, sugar, water, melted butter/corn oil, vanilla extract, yellow colouring and flour in a bowl. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- In another clean mixing bowl, whisk the whites and 100g of sugar until medium peak.
- Fold the whites into the vanilla batter and mix well. Do not over-mix as this will cause the volume of the sponge to drop.
- Pour the light batter into the greased mould and bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 30 minutes.
- As for the Creamy Corn Filling, combine milk, water, sugar, salt and agar-agar powder in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the custard powder in the coconut milk. Add in a can of cream corn kernel.
- Stir in the coconut custard mix into the boiling milk and continue to cook till mixture boils and thickens. Add in 1-2 drops of yellow colouring, stir well and set aside.
- To assemble the cake, cut the vanilla sponge into three horizontal layers.
- Place the first layer of sponge into a 10in cake ring/ springfoam pan.
- Pour 1/3 of the creamy corn filling onto the sponge and smoothen it.
- Then top with the second layer of sponge and spread another half of the remaining filling.
- Top with the last piece of sponge, spread and finish off the balance of the filling.
- Cool it down & refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours to allow the custard to set thoroughly.
- Unmould, garnish as required. (You may also cover the side of the cake with whipped topping and coat with desiccated coconut).
- The cake is ready to be cut & served.
You may also like