- 3 cups of ikan bilis (soaked in cold water for 15mins and drained to remove excess salt. Refrigerate for an hour or so.)
- 5 garlic cloves (washed and crushed with the skin)
- 2 big onions (finely sliced)
- 5 chopped chilli padi (bird's eye chilli. Add more if you like it more spicy)
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste or 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- Oil for frying
- Dried shallots for seasoning
- Sugar to taste
- Deep fry the ikan bilis until brown and crispy.
- In another pan, use the same oil to fry the onions until slightly brown.
- Add in garlic.
- Then, add the tamarind juice or lemon juice.
- Add the chilli padi.
- Lower the heat and stir fry all the ingredients until the mixture becomes quite dry and light in texture.
- Finally, add the fried ikan bilis and mix well. Then add the dried shallots
- and mix thoroughly.
- Remove from the wok and serve.