For the filling:
- Heat oil in a wok and fry garlic until fragrant.
- Add onion, cinnamon stick, curry leaves, meat curry powder and potatoes.
- Add just enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cook over a medium low heat until potatoes are done.
- Add chicken, salt, sugar, pepper and oyster sauce.
- Stir-fry until meat is cooked and dry.
- Dish out and leave in a plastic colander to drain off excess oil.
For the pastry:
- Put sifted flour into a mixing bowl and stir in salt.
- Rub margarine into the flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre, add water and lemon juice.
- Mix with both hands to form a soft dough. If dough is a bit dry, add a little more water. Do not knead.
- Set dough aside to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide pastry dough into two portions.
- Roll out each portion to about 1/4 cm thickness.
- Cut out into 9-10 cm rounds with a cutter.
- Place a tablespoonful of filling in the centre of each round.
- Fold pastry into half to enclose the filling.
- Seal by pinching and fluting the edges.
- Heat enough oil in a wok and, when hot, deep-fry the curry puffs until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
You may also like