This recipe is best with
- 3 eggs (Grade A), separated
- 45g soft brown sugar
- 145g self-raising flour
- 135g unsalted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp chocolate essence
- Cocoa paste
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 120ml hot water
- 50g good quality cocoa powder
- Grease and flour an 18cm round or square baking tin. Preheat oven at 150°C.
- Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff. Combine all ingredients for cocoa paste in a small bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Leave aside to cool.
- Sift self-raising flour in a mixing bowl. Add butter and both essences. Mix until crumbly. Add the 3 egg yolks.
- Stir in the cooled cocoa paste and mix in the beaten egg white (meringue). Use a metal spoon to stir and mix until well combined.
- Turn batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until cake is cooked through.