Not sure what to do with your leftover dates? Turn them into the delicious date ice cream recipe that can be enjoyed by the whole family. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 350g Medjool datespitted and roughly chopped
- 600ml whipping cream
- 300ml milk
- 1/2tbsp vanilla essence
- 6 egg yolks
- A pinch of salt
- Place the dates, cream, milk and vanilla essence in a saucepan and simmer over low heat, stirring continuously. Remove pan from heat and purée the mixture with a stick blender.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the salt. Then, slowly stir the yolks into the pan and return it to the stove. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into a container, cover it with plastic wrap (so it doesn’t form a skin) and leave to cool. Then pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufaturer’s instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture for 2 hours, stir it and repeat this prossess twice before serving.