- 600g duck, chopped into large pieces
- 300g salted green stems (harm choy), cut into large pieces
- 3 litres water
- 2 tomatoes, keep whole
- 2 onions, quartered
- 6 dried Chinese mushroom, soaked
- 1 nutmeg seed, cracked
- 2 sour plums (sheen mui)
- 2 star anise
- 4cm cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 3cm ginger, crushed
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- Scald duck in hot oil for 4-5 minutes. Dish out and rinse off the excess oil.
- Soak salted green stems for 30 minutes then drain well. Bring water to a boil in a stockpot.
- Put in the duck and the rest of the ingredients. Cover and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1½-2 hours. Top up with a little more water if necessary.
- Adjust soup with salt and sugar to taste.