This recipe is best with
- 8 oz / 224 gm plain flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 8 oz / 224 gm butter
- 4 oz / 112 gm castor sugar
- 4 large eggs ( take away 2 egg white)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 lb / 500 gm mixed fruit
- Brandy / Rum
- Almonds for decoration
- Soak mixed fruits with 10 tbsp. of brandy or rum. Leave it overnight so as to have better flavour and softer texture.
- Line the bottom of 7-inch round or square cake tin with greaseproof paper and grease the sides well with butter .
- Sieve together the flour and baking powder.
- Cream butter, sugar and honey until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Lightly fold in 1/2 of the flour. Mix well before adding in 1/2 of the mixed fruits. Stir well to mix then add in the remaining flour and mixed fruits.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and decorate with almonds (if use). Bake at 165ºC/330ºF for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Cool cake on wire rack. When cake is completely cooled - after 4 to 5 hours, pour 5 tbsp. brandy or rum over the cake. Wrap it with foil (or keep it in an air-tight tin) and keep it over night before serving.
- Note: The longer you keep the fruit cake the better it will taste.
- Tip: Owing to long baking time, a small bowl of water can be placed in the oven to provide water vapour during baking and to prevent the cake from becoming dry.
- Makes 1 (7-inch) cake.