Kuali would like to get to know you more – please do spend 10 secs to let us know your thoughts below!
- For mooncake pastry:
- 300g golden syrup
- 3/4 tbsp alkaline water
- 95g corn oil
- 400g plain flour - sifted
- 1/4 tsp thick soy sauce (for colour)
- For durian filling:
- 300g durian flesh - blend into puree
- 500g lotus seeds (seong lin) - boil in 1,200ml water until soft and blend into a paste
- 4 tbsp castor sugar
- 500g castor sugar
- 2 tbsp maltose
- To make egg glaze, mix well and strain:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- [To make the pastry: ]Combine golden syrup and alkaline water in a mixing bowl. Add corn oil and mix with a wooden spoon. Add thick soy sauce and stir well. Set aside for 4-5 hours.
- Fold in sifted flour and mix evenly to form a smooth dough. Set dough aside again for another 4-5 hours.
- [To make the filling: ]Put 4 tbsp sugar in a heavy-based wok, and cook till you get golden brown caramel. Add lotus seed paste gradually and cook till smooth. Add 500g sugar and stir till mixture thickens.
- Add oil gradually and mix well. Add durian and maltose. Stir until mixture is smooth and does not stick to the centre of the wok. Remove and cool, preferably overnight, before dividing the filling into 110g balls.
- [To make the mooncake: ]Divide pastry dough into 45g balls. Flatten dough and wrap durian filling. Dust wooden mould lightly with flour, tapping out any excess. Put dough-wrapped filling into mould. Knock out and place mooncakes on slightly greased tray. Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 13 minutes. Remove and leave to cool for 1 minute. Brush with egg glaze and bake for another 5 minutes or till done.
- [To make Figurine Mooncake Biscuits: ]Use the remaining dough from the mooncake dough pastry and add a little more flour to the dough, if necessary. Divide dough into small equal portions. Use dough to wrap small amount of durian filling, then press dough into figurine moulds dusted lightly with flour.
- Knock out the figurine mooncakes, arrange on greased trays and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. After a minute, brush biscuits with egg glaze and continue to bake for another 4 minutes or till they turn golden brown.