This recipe is best with
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk (low-fat or full cream)
- 1/4cup fine-milled raw sugar (or castor sugar), one teaspoon more if you like your tarts sweeter
- 1/2sachet vanilla sugar (or 1/2 tsp vanilla essence)
- 1 packet of frozen pie dough, 250g (or make your own dough with 80g of butter cut into 2 1/2 cups flour and kneaded with up to 2/3 cup water to a pliable consistency)
- 20g butter, half melted
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Beat the first four ingredients together. Butter two six-cup medium muffin pans with a brush. Roll out the dough to 3mm thin (or just unroll a pre-rolled one). Cut rounds of dough with an upside-down cup to fit halfway up the muffin holes.
- Through a strainer, pour the egg mixture into each dough-lined cup, leaving 4mm of rim. (You'd be in Sticky City if it overflows.) Bake for 15 minutes. Turn up heat to 175 degrees for the lower part of the oven. Bake for another 6 minutes. Remove muffin pans. Let cool for a few minutes before gently loosening tarts with a small blunt knife. Cool tarts on a wire rack. Makes 12 tarts.