- 500g yam
- 75g wheat starch (tang mein fun)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ¾ tsp monosodium glutamate
- 75g shortening
- Peel and slice the yam. Steam the yam slices until tender, then mash while still hot. Mix wheat starch with enough boiling water until the mixture forms a dough.
- Combine this dough with the mashed yam paste. Add salt, sugar, five spice powder, monosodium glutamate and shortening. Lightly dust your hands with extra wheat starch and mix until a smooth dough is formed.
- Form a ring shape and deep-fry the yam ring until crispy and golden brown. Remove and drain well.