This recipe is best with
- 400g garoupa or any white fish fillet, cut into chunks
- 250g butter
- 6-7 bird's eye chillies, chopped
- 1 blade screwpine leaf, finely shredded
- Marinade (A)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp cornflour
- 200ml coconut milk
- 200ml evaporated milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- Seasoning (C)
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp chicken stock granules
- Season fish with marinade (A) and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine ingredients (B) in a mixing bowl. Melt butter in a wok over very low heat. Once butter starts to melt, add combined ingredients (B). Stir continuously, over low heat until the oil separates and the liquid resembles coarse sandy granules. Dish out and strain the oil.
- Heat enough oil in a wok until hot and deep-fry marinated fish until golden brown and crispy. Drain from oil.
- Return the coarse sandy milk crisps to the wok, add chopped bird's eye chillies and shredded screwpine leaf. Fry briskly until aromatic. Put back the fish pieces and add seasoning (C) to mix. Give a quick brief toss to combine the ingredients well. Dish out and serve.