If you’re looking for a local fusion dish to cook up during a special occasion, try making this Squid with Curry and Chocolate Sauce accompanied with rice or a baguette. This article was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 500g squid, cut into rings
- 50ml palm oil
- 50g shallots, chopped
- 2tbsp tamarind pulp diluted with, 100ml water
- 100ml UHT cream
- 60g dark bitter chocolate
- curry or chilli powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chives, chopped, for decoration
- Sauté squid rings over high heat in palm oil, but remove from heat before fully cooked. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté shallots. Add in tamarind water and reduce the mixture, then add in cream, chocolate and curry or chilli powder.
- Add in squid and cook for a further 2 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve immediately.