Fresh prawns are scrumptious. Here’s a recipe for steamed prawns.
- 400g whole tiger prawns, still in their shells
- 6tbsp oil
- 8cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1tsp oyster sauce
- 1tsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 1/4tsp anchovy
- granules ikan bilis
- 3-4 bird’s eye chillies, finely cut
- 2tbsp Shao Hsing rice wine
- 1tsp sesame seed oil
- 2stalks spring onion, chopped
- 1stalk coriander leaves, chopped
- Trim the feelers of the prawns. Rinse the prawns and drain well.
- Heat the oil over low heat and fry the garlic in the hot oil until golden, crispy and fragrant. Remove the garlic crisps and set aside.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of the garlic oil with the sauce ingredients.
- Season the prawns with 1 tablespoon of the sauce and arrange the prawns on a steaming plate.
- Steam over high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until the prawns turn a bright red colour. Remove from the steamer.
- To serve: Spoon the remaining sauce over the prawns and top with 2 tablespoons garlic crisps. Garnish with the spring onion and coriander leaves.