This recipe is best with
- 1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons)
- 8 cups onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 quarts beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon BV meat glaze (or kitchen bouquet, bovril, or oxo, in a pinch)–optional
- Grated Gruyere cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- French bread
- olive oil
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven and add the onions, stirring constantly. cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- In the meantime, cut slices of French bread into 1/2 inch pieces and toast them at 350 degrees in the oven for about 15 minutes--until they are dry crusts.
- When the onions are soft, sprinkle them with flour, stir, then add 2 cups of beef stock and stir until the mixture is thickened. Add the remaining stock, stir into 1 Tablespoon of salt, the pepper, and the brandy. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour to an hour. Add the meat glaze and taste for seasoning.
- When you're ready to serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls and cover each with a thick handful of Gruyere cheese. Top each with a piece of the toasted bread, which has been drizzled with olive oil. Sprinkle it with the Parmesan, then run them under a broiler for a few minutes and carry out to the table.