Ingredients is not available.
- Cut bittergourd into half lengthwise and with a sharp edged spoon, scrap out the red seeds and cottony pith until no trace of white is left inside the gourd halves. Cut into thick slices and then into 3cm lengths.
- Sprinkle a generous helping of salt over the cut slices.
- Toss slices around in the salt but be careful not to break them. Next, wash the slices of gourd under running water. As you do this, squeeze the gourd gently as this will get rid of some of its bitter juices. Drain the gourd.
- Season chicken with marinade (A) and leave aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and fry chicken for 12 minutes.
- Remove and put aside. Add garlic into remaining oil and fry for 3040 seconds. Add bittergourd slices and mushrooms. Pour in sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 23 minutes.
- Return chicken to the wok and add in water chestnuts, carrot and chilli. Cook for 56 minutes or until sauce is thick. Add spring onions then dish out and serve.