Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya Malay Cuisine junior sous chef, Mohamad Hamedy Yaacob, is a chef with 16 years of experience.
Specialising in Asian food, mainly Malay cuisine, he has experience in Indonesian and Thai fare.
This dish is inspired by the Western demi-sauce and made with Asian ingredients.
- 1.8kg sea bass, fillet
- 1 honey star fruit, sliced
- 250g ground Sarawak black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1cup tapioca flour
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1tbsp coconut milk or cream
- 1cup water
- Roughly Blended Base Ingredients:
- 250g red onions
- 80g garlic
- 4stalks lemongrass
- 80g ginger
- 100g dried chillies
- Frying the fish: Sprinkle the fillet with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Break eggs and coat the fish.
- Dip and cover the fish in the tapioca flour.
- Heat oil to medium temperature.
- Start frying the fish until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain the oil from the fried fish and place in dish.
- For Preparing Brown Sauce: Heat a bit of oil in a medium saucepan.
- Lightly stir-fry the roughly blended ingredients until aromatic but without browning.
- Add 1 cup water into the mixture until it starts simmering, then add the coconut milk or cream.
- Finally add the sliced pieces of star fruit.