- To prepare the sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok and stir-fry together the shallot and dried and red chillies until fragrant. Dish out.
- With a mortar and pestle, pound together until fine the fried shallot and chillies. Add the peanut and continue pounding until fine.
- Mix the tamarind paste with the water and strain.
- Boil all the sauce ingredients in a pan or wok until it reaches a thick, sauce consistency, seasoning to taste with sugar and salt.
- [To prepare the vegetables: ]Bring a pot of water to the boil and blanch first, the long bean, then the sprout, cabbage and water spinach. Work quickly to prevent overcooking.
- To serve, assemble a helping of each of the vegetables on a plate and top with the peanut sauce. Enjoy.
- For more food and wine stories and recipes, pick up the latest issue of [Flavours (July - August 2003)], Malaysia's premier food magazine, available at major bookstores and newsstands.
You may also like