Lemang is undeniable a must-have food on the menu during Raya period. However, people nowadays prefer to buy instead of making it themselves. Well, if you have time, why not making your homemade lemang? It’s not as easy but not as difficult as you think, let’s give a try with a recipe brought by Chef Yuzrem Ezri Mohd Yunus who is a lecturer at INTI International University & Colleges, School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts. We sure that your Hari Raya will be more happening with homemade lemang!
- 1 kg glutinous rice
- 3 – 4 coconuts (for coconut milk)
- 2 large bamboo
- banana leaves
- salt to taste
- Wash the glutinous rice and drain off the water.
- Place the banana leaves inside the bamboo according to the circumference of the bamboo.
- Then add a sufficient amount of the glutinous rice that has been drained. Ensure the stalk is not compact or overflowing with rice.
- Add a dash of salt into the coconut milk, then pour it into the bamboo that has been filled with the rice.
- Cook it over a medium heat. Turn the bamboo over every 15 minutes to ensure the rice is compressed and further do so by slowly tapping it so it cooks evenly.
- Cook the bamboo for about three to four hours before removing it off the heat. Remove the lemang from the bamboo. Then slice and serve with serunding or rendang.