Welcome to the ‘#HealthyEating’ series! #HealhyEating is launched to encourage everyone to love themselves and live a healthier life. In this quarter, we are sharing vegetarian Rice recipes, Vegetable Pilaf. Pilaf or pilau is a rice dish, or in some regions, a wheat dish, whose recipe usually involves cooking in stock or broth, adding spices, and other ingredients such as vegetables or meat, and employing some technique for achieving cooked grains that do not adhere.
Want more vegetarian or vegan recipes? Check out the ‘#HealthyEating’ recipe folder.
- 2 cups basmathi rice, soaked for 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 big red onion, chopped
- 1 tin button mushroom, slice
- 80g French beans, sliced
- 80g broccoli, broken into pieces
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp cumin, whole
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 star anise
- 3 clove
- 3 cardamom
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6-8 tbsp corn oil or ghee
- almond flakes, roasted
- Cook rice with a little bit of salt. Then add ghee and keep it aside.
- Heat oil. Add cumin, star anise, cardamom, clove, onion and mushroom and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground coriander and turmeric and well mix.
- Add in the vegetables, stir for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
- Mix the vegetables into the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle roasted almond flakes and serve.
- Note: You can avoid the rest of the spices but not cumin. Cumin gives a very mild flavour to the rice.