The combination of all the ingredients and especially the jalapenos and habanero powder give the true burger lover a combo of mouth-watering flavor and pepper temperature. Julia Hoadley, San Diego, California (with husband Charles and son John)
- 675g ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp dry mustard
- 1½ tsp taco seasoning
- 2 to 3 fresh jalapeño peppers, sliced, or sliced canned jalapeños
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 jalapeño cheese bagels, toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Fresh avocado slices, for garnish
- Habañero or other hot chilli powder
- Hot sauce, preferably homemade
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, green onion, garlic, mustard and taco seasoning. Divide the mixture and form into four patties. Cover and refrigerate the patties at least one hour to give the flavours time to marry.
- Heat the grill and season both sides of each patty with habañero powder. Grill the patties on both sides to desired doneness, topping the burgers just before they are done with sliced jalapenos and cheese.
- Serve the burgers in the toasted buns, garnish as desired with lettuce, avocado slices and hot sauce.