- To make fermented yeast rice: Combine the yeast biscuit, cooked rice, sugar and water in a porcelain bowl. Cover tightly with a piece of cling film wrap. Leave aside to ferment for two days.
- Put 3½ tablespoons of the fermented rice in a blender. Add 100ml water and sugar and whisk until well blended.
- Sift rice flour into a large mixing bowl. Add remaining water and pour in the blended fermented rice mixture.
- Strain the mixture into a large plastic container and cover tightly with a lid. Leave aside for 4-5 hours.
- Just before steaming, add ENO salt and double-action baking powder. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat metal patty cups in a steamer for 1-2 minutes.
- If preferred, line the patty cups with paper cases. Pour in the rice mixture to three-quarters full.
- To make sure that each kuih opens up beautifully, sprinkle coarse sugar over the surface in a cross pattern. Steam the kuih over rapidly boiling water for 20 minutes.
You may also like