Frittatas make a quick supper, perfect for a busy weekday meal. All you need are a few vegetables, some sausage or leftover meat and eggs and you can have dinner ready in 15 to 20 minutes.
- 225g reduced-fat Italian turkey sausage
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms (or other varieties)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large whole egg
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ½ cup fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat broiler. Cut sausage into 1.25cm slices.
- Heat oil in a medium, oven-proof, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion and sauté 3 minutes, stirring several times. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Continue to sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg with egg whites and milk. Tear basil into small pieces and add to egg mixture with a little salt and pepper. Pour into skillet and gently stir vegetables to make sure egg mixture spreads throughout the pan.
- Press the sausage and vegetables into the egg mixture. Turn heat to low and cook 10 minutes. Frittata will be mostly cooked through. Place under broiler to brown 1 to 2 minutes. Watch to make sure top doesn't brown too much.
- To serve, loosen frittata around edges, cut in half, and slip each half onto individual plates.