Kevin Martinez, chef de cuisine of the Tokyo Café, in Fort Worth, Texas came up with this recipe to add variety, excitement and nutrients to your children´s lunchbox menu.
- 340g ground beef (with 20% fat)
- 100g ground pork (or chicken)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tare Sauce:
- 170g sugar
- 180ml soya sauce
- 150ml water
- In a medium bowl, mix all meatball ingredients together. Form into small balls. Allow meatballs to chill in fridge until firm.
- For the sauce, cook all ingredients in a small saucepot over medium heat until the mixture has the consistency of maple syrup. (Makes about 2/3 cup.)
- Saute meatballs over medium heat until golden brown, then toss with tare sauce.