This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 250 g margarine
- 600 g sugar
- 200 ml water
- 9 eggs
- 200 g all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking soda (sifted)
- 100g condensed milk
- Line an 8-inch square pan with grease-proof paper and grease with margarine. Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Melt the margarine in a pan, then set aside to cool.
- Caramelize the sugar in a pan over medium heat, then very carefully mix the water in, stirring until sugar has melted completely. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk till foamy. Pour in the cooled sugar mixture, whisking continuously until foam doubles.
- Slowly whisk flour in, in three batches. Pour in the melted margarine, whisking till combined, then whisk in the salt and baking soda and finally, the condensed milk.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before serving.