This Kerabu recipe features Bunga Betik, or papaya flower; a common vegetables to see in many Malay dishes. Try this healthy and unique Malay salad today!
Other Unique Traditional Kerabu Recipes
- 250g bunga betik (papaya flowers)
- 50g bird’s eye chillies
- 100g red chilli
- 50g shrimp paste, toasted
- 100g ikan bilis
- 100g buah cermai (optional)
- 2 limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- 100g kerisik (grated, toasted and pounded coconut)
- 100g shallot, sliced finely
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Blanch the papaya flowers for 3 minutes until al dente. Soak in ice water to cool down.
- Pound chillies with shrimp paste, ikan bilis and cermai fruits. Add half of the lime juice, salt and sugar.
- In a salad bowl, mix the sambal paste with the papaya flowers, kerisik and shallots.
- Add the remaining lime juice and coconut milk. Adjust seasoning. Chill the dish before serving.