Learn this treasured Kerutuk Bawal Maktok recipe from home cook, Zainon Johari.
For the full interview with Zainon, visit this page.
- For blending together:
- 1.2cm galangal
- 6 small shallots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 buah keras
- a little bit of turmeric powder
- strong>For cooking:
- 1 cup blended dried chillies
- 2 medium bawal fish, fried
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed
- salt to taste
- brown sugar to taste
- Blend ingredients for blending together and set aside.
- Add oil in kuali. Fry blended chillies and blended galangal, shallots, garlic, buah keras and turmeric powder for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in crushed lemongras and coconut milk and let simmer for awhile.
- Add in fish and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot with rice.