- Soak the whole piece of roast pork in water for 10 minutes, then cut into 1cm thick slices.
- Cut yam to the same size as pork slices. Deep-fry yam slices until slightly golden, or crisp.
- Heat about two tablespoons oil in a kuali and saute chopped leek, onions, ginger, szechuan pepper corns, star anise and mandarin orange skin.
- Stir in cooking wine and stir-fry well until fragrant and aromatic. Add stock or water and the rest of the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil then turn off the heat.
- Arrange yam and roast pork slices in the loaf tin alternately. Start off with a yam slice and end off again with a yam slice. Pour prepared sauce over.
- Put in a steamer and steam for one and a half to two hours or until the yam and meat are tender. Remove from mould, pour sauce over and serve.
You may also like