This recipe is best with
- Pau dough:
- 250g pau flour (Hong Kong flour)
- 40g wholemeal flour
- 25g castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 25g canola oil
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp double-action baking powder
- 160g lukewarm water
- A few pieces of chicken burger, pan-fried
- Some shredded carrot
- Some finely shredded cabbage
- Some romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- A few slices of cheddar cheese
- For the pau skin: Sift flours into a mixing bowl. Add sugar, salt, yeast and baking powder. Stir well to combine. Add water and oil. Process with a dough hook fitted to the machine until a soft and pliable dough is formed.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and leave aside to proof for 30 minutes.
- Put dough onto a lightly floured tabletop and knead for a short while. Divide dough into 10 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into an oval, then roll out flat. Brush lightly with canola oil and fold up into a half-moon. Arrange each piece of half-moon dough on a small piece of grease-proof paper. Leave aside to proof for 15 minutes.
- Steam the pau over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove and add filling of your choice into the open faced pau.