- 600g Kurau (Threadfin or Mullet), scaled, cleaned and slit on both sides
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee spicy bean sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 big onion sliced 1/2 red pepper cut into wedges
- 1/2 green pepper cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp ikan bilis granules
- A dash of pepper
- Spring onions, chopped
- Chinese coriander, chopped
- Season fish with salt and sprinkle lightly with tapioca flour. Deep fry until golden brown. Drain and put on a platter.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok. Saute ginger and garlic till fragrant. Add in the spicy bean sauce. Add the onion slices and stir-fry well. Mix in water, sugar, ikan bilis granules and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce over fish and garnish.