Learn this treasured Laksa Johor recipe from home cook, Siti Zaleha Md Nor.
For the full interview with Siti, visit this page.
- 500g spaghetti
- 600g ikan kembung
- 5cm ginger, blended finely
- 5cm galangal, blended finely
- 15 shallots, blended finely
- 8 cloves garlic, blended finely
- 6-7 tbsp fish curry powder
- 150g dried prawns, soaked and blended
- coconut milk from 1 ½ coconuts
- 6 stalks lemongrass, crushed
- kerisik (toasted, grated coconut) from 1 coconut
- 4 pieces asam keping
- 2-3 tbsp chilli paste (optional)
- Vegetables to go with laksa:
- 10 long beans, sliced at 1cm lengths
- 1 big cucumber, hollow removed and sliced
- 2 big red onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 500g beansprouts
- a handful of daun kesom, finely chopped
- a handful of daun selasih, finely chopped
- Sambal belacan (to blend together):
- 1 ½ inch toasted belacan
- 10-12 red chillies
- 2-3 limau kasturi
- Boil spaghetti and drain well. Set aside. Boil fish with enough water to cover it, and add a piece of ginger. Set aside fish stock. Drain, debone and blend the fish.
- Heat up some oil and fry blended ingredients, curry powder, fish, dried prawns, coconut milk, kerisik, asam keping and coconut milk. Boil until the mixture is a little thick.
- Serve with spaghetti, sambal belacan and raw vegetables.