Cook up this delicious Lamb Kuzi as a treat for Iftar or for Hari Raya. This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 500g lamb (cubed)
- 2 tbsp kuzi spice mix
- 2 ½cm ginger (finely ground)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely ground)
- 5 shallots (finely ground)
- 4 tbsp palm oil
- 1 tbsp cili boh
- 300 ml water
- ½ cup dates (diced)
- 250 ml tomato sauce
- 250 ml santan sawit
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 large onion (quartered)
- 2 tomatoes (cut into 8 pieces)
- 2 green chillies (halved)
- Marinate the lamb cubes with the kuzi spice, ginger, garlic and shallots for at least 20 minutes, or overnight.
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté the cili boh until fragrant. Stir in the lamb and continue cooking until lightly browned. Add water and dates, leave to simmer until lamb is tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, santan and brown sugar and season to taste. Leave to simmer for another 10 minutes and add in onion, tomatoes and green chillies.
- Continue cooking until gravy is thick. Remove from heat and serve with rice.