Combine ricotta, 1/2 cup (50 g) of Parmesan, mascarpone and egg. Cover. Refrigerate.
Cook noodles until al dente. Drain. Plunge into bowl of iced water to stop cooking. Remove from water. Lay on oiled baking sheet.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190ºC). Brush 13-by-9-by-3-inch (33 by 23 by 8 mm) baking dish with olive oil. Lay about 3 noodles lengthwise side by side on bottom of dish to cover. Cover with layer of Bolognese sauce. Top with another layer of noodles.
Cover with half ricotta mixture. Add another layer each of noodles, sauce, noodles and ricotta. Top with final layer of noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.
Bake for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle portions with parsley.
HEARTY BEEF BOLOGNESE
- 6 tablespoons (85 g) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound (450 g) lean ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) minced garlic
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry red wine
- 5 pounds (2.25 kg) Roma tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons (40 g) sugar
- 1 bouquet garni, (2 sprigs each rosemary, basil, parsley, 1 sprig oregano, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon - (15 g) black peppercorns)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely diced
- 2 cups (460 ml) chicken stock
Sauté beef in olive oil until evenly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add shallots and garlic. Cook 3 minutes more.
Deglaze with red wine. Cook until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add tomatoes, paste, sugar and bouquet garni. Boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes.
Sauté vegetables in olive oil until onion is translucent. Add vegetables and stock to meat sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes more. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper or sugar, if necessary.