- 300g lek tow (green split beans without skin) wash and soak for 3 to 4 hours
- 300g castor sugar
- 2 pandan (screwpine) leaves, knotted
- 1 litre water
- Thickening, combine:
- 25g water-chestnut flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Line a steaming tray with pandan leaves. Spread green beans over and steam for 15 to 20 minutes until just soft.
- Put sugar, one litre water and pandan leaves in a deep saucepan. Boil until sugar dissolves. Lower the flame and add water-chestnut mixture gradually to thicken the syrup.
- Carefully remove the steamed beans and add to the starchy liquid. Heat mixture over low fire, then scoop into small bowls.