Instead of making the classic gingerbread man for Christmas, we are making Lemon Butter Cookies. These cookies are in the shape of a gingerbread man.
- [ For the cookies] :
- 1cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- [For the icing] :
- 1cup icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 drops green liquid food coloring (optional)
- 3-4 drops red liquid food coloring.optional
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and lemon juice.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 30 min to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line baking trays with baking paper. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 4-5mm thick.
- Using 8cm Christmas cookies cutter of your choice, cut shapes from dough and place on trays. Re-roll dough scraps once and cut more shapes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges turn light golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Mix icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl. Divide prepared icing into small plastic bags. Add food coloring in separate plastic bags.
- Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over the cookies to decorate. Leave to set for 1 hour.