- Sift flours and custard powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar; mix. Add melted butter, essence, treacle and milk. Beat in eggs and use a hand whisk to mix until mixture is smooth.
- Sift in baking powder to combine. Pour batter into a lightly greased 20?22cm round cake tin.
- Sprinkle some olive nuts over the batter or, if preferred, use melon seeds.
- Put into a steamer and steam over rapid boiling water on high heat for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove steamed sponge from the steamer and set aside to cool completely before cutting into pieces.
You may also like