Medjool Chicken, made with Medjool dates, this chicken dish has a twang of sweet and spicy to it.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- [Spice paste] :
- 1 tbsp cili boh
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger (cut into pieces)
- 1 large onion (cut into pieces)
- [To cook the chicken] :
- 1 medium chicken (cut into small pieces)
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass (bruised)
- 10 Medjool dates (pitted and chopped)
- 1 large onion (cut into rings)
- [To make paste] : Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend to form a paste.
- [To cook chicken] : Rub the tumeric and salt onto the chicken. Heat oil in a wok and fry the chicken until lightly browned. Remove the chicken and set aside then discard most of the oil from the wok. Add the spice paste and lemongrass and stir-fry till fragrant.
- Add the chicken, dates, onion rings and water (if needed) and stir till chicken is cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste then serve.