- Grease 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan. Line the base with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 190°C.
- In an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy. Then add in 1/2 of the sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until firm peaks form.
- In another clean bowl, whisk egg yolks and the rest of the sugar and vanilla essence till thick and creamy.
- Fold egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture with a hand whisk.
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients (self-raising flour, cornflour and baking powder) and corn oil until combined.
- Spread evenly into the pan.
- Bake at 190°C in the middle rack for 10-12 minutes or till light brown and springy.
- Turn cake onto a clean greaseproof paper and towel. Peel off paper from cake.
- Spread mulberry jam evenly on the cake before gently rolling it.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
- To make the jam, wash the fresh mulberries and leave to drain in a colander.
- Using an electric blender, blend mulberries with water till fine.
- Sieve pureed mulberries to remove pulp.
- Cook the puree with sugar over low heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Set aside. Add in brandy, if used, at this stage and leave to cool.
You may also like