Also known as Chicken Karahi, Murgh Kadhai is a spicy and fragrant northern Indian chicken dish that is relatively simple to prepare.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 80ml palm oil
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 2tsp coriander powder
- 1 whole chicken, deboned and cut into bite-sized pieces salt to taste
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 green chillies, sliced
- 2 green capsicums, cubed
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- A handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1tbsp ginger, julienned
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds once the oil is hot enough. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in chilli and coriander powders, chicken and salt. Cook on high heat for 2-3 minutes, constantly stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to cook for another 6-8 minutes and adjust seasoning to taste. Remove from heat.
- Serve with Indian bread of your choice.