- 300g nasi dagang rice or substitute with 200g good grade Siamese rice mixed with 100g glutinous rice
- 1grated coconut to extract 3/4 cup thick coconut milk and 3/4 cup thin coconut milk
- 1/4tsp fenugreek seeds (halba)
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced finely)
- 3 shallots (sliced finely)
- 2cm young ginger (sliced finely)
- 1/2tsp salt
- Wash rice well and soak for five to six hours. Drain well, then steam rice for 20 to 25 minutes or until half-cooked.
- Stir in thin coconut milk and continue steaming for 15 minutes until rice is nearly cooked.
- Combine thick coconut milk, shallots, garlic, ginger, fenugreek and salt. Stir into the cooked rice then steam once more for 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is properly cooked.
- Serve rice with kari ikan tongkol.