Ramadan is here, which means those observing the monthly fast have to get up in the wee hours of morning for sahur, the first meal of the day. This predawn breakfast is crucial as it provides the only sustenance and nourishment for the day until the post-sunset buka puasa, when the fasting is broken.
If you are looking for quick, convenient, healthy and delicious meals to prepare, celebrity chef Nik Michael Imran has this perfect recipe from his own sahur repositories.
- 180g organic instant oats
- 700ml milk
- 1tsp sugar
- 3tbsp pecans, lightly toasted and slightly bashed in a mortar and pestle
- 4 dates, pit removed and sliced into 0.5cm strips
- A pat of good unsalted butter, for garnish
- Add oats, milk and sugar into a small saucepan/pot and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Stir continuously but lightly for 3 minutes until consistency is of a thick soup. If too thick, add more milk.
- Turn off heat and add the pecans and dates, stir swiftly to combine and immediately serve in a bowl. Add the pat of butter on top and serve hot.