It is common to see old cucumber soup being served on the Chinese family dinner table. Old cucumber is believed to reduced heats that will accumulated in the body if one eat too much fried foods.
This recipe was first published in Amy Beh’s column, Cook’s Nook.
Kuali is now an APP! Get recipes at your fingertips by downloading the app on App Store or Google Play! We would also appreciate if you can give us your feedback on the app through this poll. Thank you!
- 200g old cucumber, cut into sections
- 80g chicken, cut into pieces
- 80g pork ribs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 dried red dates
- 2pieces dried oysters
- 6g dried cuttlefish, rinsed
- 700ml chicken stock, or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2g rock sugar
- Bring water to boil in a small pot. Add all the ingredients, except stock and seasoning, and scald for a minute. Remove and drain well.
- Combine all the scalded ingredients in a clean pot. Add the 700ml chicken stock or water and stir in seasoning to taste.
- Cook the soup for about 15 minutes.
- Next, pour enough boiling water into a thermal food jar. Close and allow the jar to preheat for 2 minutes then pour out the water.
- Pour the pre-cooked soup ingredients into the preheated food jar
- Close the jar tightly. Leave aside for about 2 hours.
- Serve the soup once it is done.