This a good way to add finesse and a tangy punch to your usual cupcakes. So, here is the recipe for orange cupcake.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 85 g icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 35 g castor sugar
- 40 g canola oil
- 1 tbsp orange rind (grated)
- 80 g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp Cointreau
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
- For the topping (caramelised orange rind):
- 1 orange (grate rind into thin strips)
- 1 orange (squeeze out the juice)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- For the icing:
- 100 g cream well
- 50 g butter
- 75 g icing sugar
- A tinge of orange food colouring
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Add icing sugar and continue to beat until stiff.
- Sift plain flour and baking powder together.
- Beat egg yolks, castor sugar, canola oil, orange rind and sifted dry ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Add the Cointreau and Grand Marnier. Continue to beat until well combined.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites to mix.
- Spoon batter into paper-cup cases until three-quarters full and bake for 20 minutes or until puffed up. Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
- Put orange juice, sugar, salt and grated orange rind in a nonstick pan.
- Simmer until it turns syrupy and orange rind is caramelised. Dish out and leave to cool.
- Beat cream well, butter and icing sugar until light and smooth.
- Add a tinge of orange food colouring. Put frosting into a piping bag fitted with a nozzle. Pipe on top of cupcake and top with caramelised orange skin strips.