Pakora makes for a quick and delicious snack when you’re feeling peckish, or even as a light appetizer to start your meal. Add this dish to your Merdeka spread to truly make it feel like a complete assortment of Malaysian delights.
This recipe was first published in Flavours magazine.
- 150g plain flour
- 25g rice flour
- 1/4tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8tsp chilli powder
- 180ml water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4tsp limestone paste (kapur sirih) optional
- 170g cauliflowercut into florets
- 2stalks spring onions, sliced
- palm oil, for deep frying
- Combine the flours, turmeric and chilli powders in a mixing bowl and slowly pour in water and oil until it becomes a thick batter.
- Mix in salt, pepper and limestone paste (if using), making sure the mixture is well-incorporated. Add the cauliflower and spring onions to the batter and mix well.
- Heat the oil and deep-fry the individual batter-coated cauliflower florets. Remove when golden brown and drain of excess oil on paper towels. Serve immediately.