To prepare the noodle dough
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add salt and oil and pour in water gradually. Knead lightly into a dough (do not over knead.) Cover dough with a piece of cling film and leave aside to rest for 40-50 minutes. Remove dough from the mixing bowl onto a lightly-floured surface. Roll out dough into a flat piece, then run it through a noodle-making machine into strands or, if preferred, tear the dough into pieces.
For the basic stock
- Pan-fry anchovies in a wok, then put into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 1-2 hours. Add seasoning to taste and keep the stock for use later.
- Marinate minced pork with seasoning. Add a little oil and sesame oil in a wok and fry marinated pork for 2-3 minutes. Dish out and set aside. With the remaining oil in the wok, fry the mushrooms until fragrant for 4-5 minutes. Dish out.
- Bring a saucepan of basic stock to a boil, drop the torn pieces of pan meen into the boiling stock and cook until they float. Add in some pucuk manis.
- When cooked, dish out into a bowl and serve with some minced pork and mushrooms.
- Serve with sambal belacan, if desired.