Have leftover pasta? This recipe adds a unique twist to your everyday regular pizza.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Rachel Khoo.
- 300 g dried spaghetti (makes 2 pizza bases)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (plus some to drizzle)
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch oregano
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp ground black pepper
- For the bianca:
- 125 g soft goat’s cheese
- 6 slices ham
- 40 g red amaranth (optional)
- ½tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- For the rossa:
- 400 g cherry tomatoes
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 50 g black olives (drained and pitted)
- 6 fillets anchovy (drained)
- 6 large basil leaves
- good pinch of sugar
- sea salt to taste
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente, approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta into a colander and drain well to remove majority of the water.
- Preheat the grill to a high heat (or you can use a regular pan).
- In the meantime, start to make the simple pasta rossa sauce. In a medium sized saucepan bring the tomatoes and oregano to a simmer with seasoning.
- After 5 minutes of simmering, blend it until smooth and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Lay out a clean tea towel, tip out the pasta onto it and roll it in the tea towel to remove all excess moisture.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with oregano and seasoning. Place the pasta in the bowl with the eggs and toss to thoroughly coat the pasta. This is actually easiest to do with your hands.
- When the oil in the frying pan is really hot, add half the pasta and spread out evenly across the surface of the pan.
- Fry for 4 minutes, or until the base is really golden and crunchy.
- Scatter the goat’s cheese in even lumps over the top.
- Place under the grill or pan for 4-5 minutes.
- Scatter the amaranth over the top, tear the ham in ribbons over the top and drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle some chilli flakes (optional).
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining pasta .
- Heat the remaining oil and again spread the pasta evenly to cook for 4 minutes until golden.
- Then add the tomato sauce on top and arrange the anchovy fillets and scatter the olives.
- Place under the grill or pan for 4-5 minutes like before. Finally, top the pizza with basil leaves.
- Don’t skip the drying stage of the pasta preparation or you will end up with a watery mixture.
- Make sure the oil is nice and hot before the pasta goes in the pan.