This recipe is best with
- For crumble:
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter (cut into pieces)
- For Cake:
- 500 g plums (seeded and cut into small pieces)
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup fine ground cornmeal or polenta
- ¼ cup butter (softened) 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and mix together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Heat oven to 175 ºC.
- Grease a 22 cm glass pie plate and keep aside.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt and keep aside.
- Stir in the flour and cornmeal mixture and then fold in the cut plums.
- Turn out mixture into the pie plate and spread evenly.
- Scatter over the crumble mix-ture evenly.
- Bake until top is golden brown or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Approx. 45-55 minutes.
- Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.